Monday, February 9, 2009

Link between a child's nighttime bedwetting and omega-3 fatty acids


It was 3AM, and I was awoken by Noa, my 4 year-old daughter, telling me she had wet the bed again. It was the 3rd night in a row - something was definitely wrong. Noa is fully potty trained, and has been for a long time. What was going on? I just wasn't willing to accept this.
So, I started thinking, and thinking, and thinking. What was suddenly different that would cause this to start happening? The only thing that was different was the fish oil capsules that Noa loves. We had run out and I hadn't bothered to get more for her. She likes taking them so much that we rarely forgot. It had been a couple weeks since she had taken her fish oil by this point.
So, I started searching online to see if I could find any research to support this idea. BINGO! I found an article called "Primary nocturnal enuresis: Omega-3 fatty acids may be of therapeutic value," (Logan AC, Lesperance F. Medical Hypothesis Volume 64, Issue 6, 2005, pages 1188-1191).
It was enough for me - I got Noa started back on her fish oil (Nordic Naturals DHA Junior) every day, and she has yet to have an accident, except for one night on a trip to Canada, when I'd forgotten to bring her fish oil.
Isn't nutrition fascinating? :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment